You’ve gone to the doctor’s office knowing something’s wrong (Cold? Flu? Plague?) but you’re not exactly sure what.
And you don’t know if you’ll take medicine or a sick day (or both!).
You just want her to tell you what’s wrong and fix it.
And that’s what your clients want from you.
Your clients are just like a patient at the doctor’s office; they’re not exactly sure what’s wrong. They might have an idea, but all they really know are their symptoms (pain points).
Example: If you’re a weight loss coach, it’s not enough to say you understand they want to lose weight. They need to know you feel their pain. That you know:
- The shame of wearing the same old dress because it’s the only thing that fits while longing to wear the sexy, new fashion
- The total loss of control they feel when faced with Krispy Kremes
- The end-of-the-day exhaustion and pain in their knees, back and feet
They need to know you truly understand.
The most effective way to do that, is to use their exact words while echoing their pain.
Once you’ve gathered their exact words you have everything you need to create copy that demonstrates your expertise while building trust.
An excellent strategy to fully explore their pain points is to work in one pain point that addresses each of the following areas:
- Their emotions
- How an external event affects them
- A physical symptom
In the weight loss example above,
- “The shame of wearing the same old dress because it’s the only thing that fits while longing to wear the sexy, new fashion” lets the reader know you understand their emotions
- “The total loss of control they feel when faced with Krispy Kremes” showcases you get how they feel when a specific, external event occurs and
- “The end-of-the-day exhaustion and pain in their knees, back and feet” tells your reader there’s no judgement because you can actually feel her pain
In the very next piece of copy you write, work in at least once pain point – using your reader’s exact words – to showcase your expertise and ease their pain.
Need help? Tag me with your question in the forum or ask below. I’m happy to help you create business love at first sight.